Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What's the problem, if you have nothing to hide?

I am a self-proclaimed privacy advocate. I don't care how much it will help fight global or even local terrorism. I don't want the government to snoop where it ought not. When people I know discover this side of me, they try to dissuade me from my privacy moral ground with phrases like "if you have nothing to hide, why are you concerned?" While it's certainly true that I have nothing to hide, I am, nevertheless, quite concerned. Now I finally have fuel to add to the fire. Those same people who criticize my views on privacy will undoubtedly find most appalling the idea that the government could be allowed to sift through their hard drives without their permission*. With great joy and satisfaction I will be able to turn them back to their own arguments. After all, if the argument holds for telephone lines, why not hard drives? If you have nothing to hide, why do you care?

* see this article, somewhat far down the page it mentions that there is nothing to stop the United States from doing this... meaning our government may have already implemented this plan!

No comments: