Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What if science fiction became science?

When I was a boy, I always imagined that my calculator wristwatch could do anything. Clearly, it could not, but as a child in my imagination it could. Sometimes when I'm watching classic Star Trek or Buck Rogers my imagination slips back and I imagine myself in a world with ubiquitous technology, fantastic gadgetry, and seemingly limitless possibilities.

Perhaps the day when my imagination becomes reality is right around the corner. Today I found this website. Perhaps this is the next super-cool device like the Blackberry and PDA before it. In some respects, perhaps it isn't as fun as it looks. A PDA can perform many of the same functions, and it appears to be roughly the same size.

No, I'm not thinking about its technological appeal, but rather its aesthetics. In all my science fiction shows and movies, technology is not just something you use, but something you wear. It is aesthetically pleasing, and perhaps even fashionable. It is an integrated part of our humanity. Only once technology can become integrated with who we are can it become ubiquitous, and only when it becomes ubiquitous will I have the chance to be Buck Rogers. Needless to say, I would applaud the company who puts one of these watches on the catwalk.

No comments: